Sunday, July 25, 2010

Getting Married Indian Style


It’s crazy how easily we Americans can get invited to such great events just because we are Americans. :) Lauren, Heath, Tyler, and I made friends with an Indian family (or as Lauren likes to put it…we “flirted” with the daughter) and got invited to their uncle’s cousins wedding. We all went shopping in the Old Market to purchase saris and kurtas. We all looked spiffy and had a fun time dressing up. Although, come to find out…apparently only married women wear saris so they all thought that we were married. And our guys were definitely a lot more dressed up than all the men there except for the groom. In fact, the groom pointed at Josh and said that he was wearing what a typical Indian groom would wear. But we were still as popular as ever, and I thought that everyone looked great. :) The one downer was that Muslims don’t have dancing at their weddings… I think we were all looking forward to some Indian dancing.

We have had a good week going out and talking with people. It is so awesome to see God’s sovereignty in each and every situation. I know that God is not only working in the lives of the Indians we meet but that He is also working in all of our lives and stretching and sanctifying each one of us. I was recently convicted of placing too much value in things and pleasures of this earth. The Lord brought me to Philippians 3:20 which says, “But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body”. Here in India, I find myself longing for things that I miss in America but I must remember that my home is not here but in heaven. Amy reminded us that the only two things that are eternal are God’s Word and people’s souls. Please pr@y for us as we are coming close to the end of the trip. Pr@y that at the end of this trip, we will all be able to -say, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith” (2 Timothy 4:7).
--Abbie

Jenna and Lauren went all out with the bling-bling nose rings :)

All of the guys looking sharp in their kurtas

Lauren with the bride and our friend that invited us to the wedding

Teaching the Indian girls to be gangsta'

1 comment:

  1. you guys all look awesome in your wedding clothes, i LOVE it!! enjoy the rest of the time you guys have there, you guys are in my prayers.
    and MEW- chattanooga is eagerly waiting your arrival next month :)

    ReplyDelete